Looking for The Best Viking Games To Play In 2021 & 2022? Viking treks have left an eternal mark in history and continue to excite the minds of the whole world. Famous warriors and travelers from Northern Europe wreaked havoc and destruction wherever their drakkars could sail. It just so happened that when your profession is war and adventure, then you turn into an excellent hero of books, films, and, of course, video games.
Over the past 20 years of game development, dozens of projects about dragons of the sea have been released, and in almost all genres and on all existing platforms, but not all of them are worthy of attention. We found the best Viking games on PC and created a list of top projects that every lover of the sea, raids, and hefty axes will be pleased with!
Here is a list with The Best Viking Games To Play In 2021 & 2022, curated by GamesUnlocks !
Action, RPG, Adventure
Game Score: 8.4 stars
Valheim is one of the Viking games that quickly became cult and very popular. A project in the format of survival in an open world was completed, where each game will take control of a Viking who will have to cope with all the trials in an extremely dangerous and unpredictable world.
As such, there is no plot in Valheim, here you just need to survive, winning the favor of the gods from Scandinavian mythology. They are known to be disposed towards valiant warriors, and therefore, the more tests you can pass, the more glory you will receive in your next life.
You can explore locations either alone or in a company with friends – you can upload to the server as part of a group of up to 10 warriors. The main gameplay is divided into several parts and includes many different mechanics:
- Direct battles with opponents of various types (from rotting undead to dragons soaring in the sky);
- Extraction of resources and crafting of uniforms, weapons, and consumables;
- Construction of houses, settlements, and entire fortresses;
- Food and survival goods production.
The combat system is built on the mechanics of blocks and dodges, so dealing with the next enemy will not always be easy. Moreover, in this world, you will also find huge bosses with unique techniques, and for each of them, you will have to develop your own approach.
You can play Valheim both on public servers and by creating your own. The developers have presented a wide toolkit for creating many types of armor and weapons, allow you to go fishing or hunting, as well as visit the gloomy catacombs and arrange sieges of fortresses.
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
Action, RPG, Adventure
Game Score: 8.8 stars
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla is an open-world action-adventure, a sequel to the Assassin’s Creed series, set in the 9th century AD during the Viking era. In the story, Vikings from Scandinavia go to England in search of a new home and land suitable for farming.
You have to fight Saxon knights in armor, capture fortresses and territories to conquer the whole country.
- Game mode – single-player only;
- The player will be able to choose the gender of the character and customize the appearance (name – Eyvor);
- The game will take place in Norway and the four kingdoms of England;
- The player can use any 2 weapons at the same time (2 axes, 2 swords or 1 ax and 1 sword) or use a weapon + shield;
- Unique items of equipment that can be pumped;
- As you progress through the game, you will be able to build new buildings in the Viking settlement (barracks, forge, tattoo workshop, etc.);
- Raids on enemy fortresses are large-scale battles of armies;
- Players will be able to create Viking mercenaries who can be recruited by other players;
- The game will have a hidden blade that can kill with one blow.
Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord
Action, RPG, Simulation
Game Score: 8.6 stars
Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord is a 3rd person action RPG set in a medieval open world. They promise to add new unique features to the game, for example, board games in taverns, and more artificial intelligence for bandits; as well as the ability to craft weapons yourself.
The game is set in the fictional state of Calradia, which resembles medieval Europe, which means taverns, horse riding, and sword fighting. Direct action Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord takes place 200 years before the events of the first part. The emperor died, the country is in ruin, and local gangs are fighting for influence.
Apparently, the developers remained faithful to the traditions of the first part, and as such, there is no plot. You are allowed to create a hero without the burden of the past behind your back: choose a gender, scatter stats and go into battle. Save up money for armor, trade, or join one of the factions.
From the first frames of the gameplay, you can see that the graphics were really tightened up, using intelligently darkening. We have updated the design of the inventory and the game interface in general, there were many tactical opportunities during sieges, as well as new adjacent factions.
The combat system remains the same. The game is played from a third-person, there is a cooperative mode.
- Siege gameplay. You do not just climb wall to wall, but also use siege weapons and heavy vehicles, and for this, you need to develop tactics;
- Diplomacy. Remember the civilization games? Here it is about the same: you can conclude trade deals, or you can declare war on a neighboring feudal lord;
- Economy. The price of goods will change depending on supply and demand, almost like in real life. For example, you can capture a very poor city, and instead of plundering, feed all the hungry, then the circulation of caravans will resume and the prices for the products you need will become lower;
- Crafting. The game has the ability to create unique weapons. Consider all the weak and strong characteristics: weight, range, appearance. This will set a certain style for your game;
- Modding. The developers have added a new toolkit, which will be freely available to the delight of modders. And even then it will turn out to realize everything that you may have lacked;
- Engine. It is developed in-house and delivers the perfect balance that the first part lacked. The graphics in Mount & Blade have become truly beautiful: they can immerse you in the world of Calradia, creating large and memorable battles.